No announcement yet.

First Wines Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

0.986 is extremely low. I have never had one go that far. Even if you hadn't mixed the sugar in properly your current reading wouldn't be impacted (unless it was so high in alcohol making 0.986 possible). Could it be a hydrometer calibration issue. To calibrate, check what your normal calibration is - this will be listed on the hydrometer itself. Most are 20 deg celsius in the UK now. Warm some water in a kettle and mix that with cold water to get the calibration temperature you need in a DJ or measuring cylinder if you have one. The hydrometer should be exactly at 1.000 at the calibration temp. I.e. it reads 1.004 at calibration. Mine is .004 off so I have to take this off every reading.

All that said does it taste dry? If it does then when all said and done fermentation is most likely complete with those readings. Up to you with the finings. It will clear more quickly with them but if you can wait it will clear on its own.

Hope this helps
    Simon
    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Hi All

Well popped through to Karl's (Duffbeer) and got some finings and popped them in to the Wine No. 1 and my elderberry, blackberry and sloe. Bottled the wn1 and put the elderberry into to big bottles to age, I'm thinking about 6 months then bottle and cork them.

I remember something about bottle shock and can't remember if the advise was to let it sit in the bottle for 1 or 2 weeks?

Just waiting now for my Aldi red grape juice to clear.

Mark............

Comment

So I've been tasting the WN1 and there is deferentially something not 100% with it, If I add a teaspoon of sugar then it is drinkable without it seem to leave a taste on the tongue. At first I thought I'd over acid it with using lemon juice but I picked an acid test kit up and it came out at 3.4 ppt which according to the kit is in the range of 3 ppt to 4.5 ppt.

Got a feeling it something from the fruit in the exotic fruit juice so away it goes and try it in three months.

On a plus note the aldi red grape / waitrose merlot juice has come out nice although it is a bit thin on the body, so will be experimenting with glycerin.

Mark.........

Comment

Working...
        X