• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzled ??

Reading Duffs excellent thread on preparing wines for competition

I have a question about this bit....

Wine bottles.

Wine bottles should be of the sauterne style, clear and preferably with a punted base. They should be fitted with a white plastic flanged cork and be filled to between 1/4 and 3/4 (0.75 and 1.25 cm ) from the base of the cork.

if you look at wine bottles,around the base you will see the capacity 75cl followed by 63mm or 65 mm moulded into the glass.
    I have been told that this measurement is the distance from the top of the bottle to the wine when the bottle is full (75cl). So with nothing better to do,I measured 75cl into a bottle.
    This filled it to about 1/4 inch up the neck, leaving an air space of around 2 inches

So why do you have to overfill competition bottles ?
    I wish I was a glow worm
    Cos a glow worm's never glum
    It's hard to be unhappy
    When the sun shines out your bum

When you prep the bottles for comps, you will normally have to top them up a little. This is because:

1. The rules usualy say that the level of wine in the bottle has to be between 1/4" and 3/4" below the base of the cork. This is to ensure that all bottles look pretty much the same.

2. The competition corks are much shorter than standard corks so topping up is required in order to obtain the correct level.

Hope that helps.
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Spot on Richard
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        Spot on Richard

As you know Bob, I don't have too much of a problem with presentation.

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

so its nothing to do with unscrupulous inderviduals buying a bottle of the shelf,steaming the labels off ,swapping corks and entering it as 'home made'
          I wish I was a glow worm
          Cos a glow worm's never glum
          It's hard to be unhappy
          When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
            so its nothing to do with unscrupulous inderviduals buying a bottle of the shelf,steaming the labels off ,swapping corks and entering it as 'home made'
            There isn't much to stop people doing this and I am sure it does happen. Can you imagine the shame and ridicule that the individual would suffer if caught? Besides, where would the "buzz" come from by winning a comp in this way?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
              There isn't much to stop people doing this and I am sure it does happen. Can you imagine the shame and ridicule that the individual would suffer if caught? Besides, where would the "buzz" come from by winning a comp in this way?
              Exactly, but apparently an odd one or two did do that many years ago, why ??? I don't know, sad to think such levels could be reached.
              Discount Home Brew Supplies
              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
              X